.

50% Mobile Traffic By The End Of 2013?

I was lucky enough to interview Jeffrey Haas of PokerStars this week about their new mobile poker app product.

It's a good interview and I urge you to take a look at it. The one thing that really stuck with me was when he mentioned he thought PokerStars traffic would be 25% mobile app based by the end of this year, and 50% by the end of 2013.

I tweeted this very suggestion yesterday, and the overall response I got was that nobody believed it. I probably agree with Haas on this one, partially because he did a very good job of persuading me.

First of all, there is a massive difference between traffic and revenue. I don't believe a mobile app will account for the majority of revenue at any poker room for a very long time.

About 80% of the rake at a poker room is generated by about 10-15% of the players. This is obviously going to be the winning, mass multi-tabling grinders, who rely on huge monitors, powerful PCs, and software like Hold'em Manager running in the background.

No way you will see anyone getting to SuperNova Elite on an iPad or iPhone.

But as for traffic, I buy that one. Laptop sales have been in decline ever since the iPad and other tablets were launched, and while I can't see laptops dying out, they certainly are decreasing at an alarming rate. Not only this, but people are getting tablets who would never have otherwise bought a computing device, because they are so easy to use, which means a new demographic potentially being introduced to online poker.

I hope Haas is right, even though I am a pretty die-hard PC/laptop man myself, because it can only mean new players coming to the game.

UPDATE: Sorry guys the interview is not quite live yet, will be soon. 

0 comments:

Copyright © Barry Carter Poker